1. In the AI regulatory sandbox personal data lawfully collected for other purposes may be processed for the purposes of developing, testing and training of innovative AI systems in the sandbox under the following cumulative conditions:
- the innovative AI systems shall be developed for safeguarding substantial public interest by a public authority or another natural or legal person governed by public law or by private law and in one or more of the following areas:
(ii) public safety and health, including prevention, control and treatment of disease and improvement of health care systems;
(iii) protection and improvement of the quality of the environment, including green transition, climate change mitigation and adaptation;
(iv) energy sustainability, transport and mobility;
(v) efficiency and quality of public administration and public services;
(vi) cybersecurity and resilience of critical infrastructure.
- the data processed are necessary for complying with one or more of the requirements referred to in Title III, Chapter 2 where those requirements cannot be effectively fulfilled by processing anonymised, synthetic or other non-personal data;
- there are effective monitoring mechanisms to identify if any high risks to the rights and freedoms of the data subjects, as referred to in Article 35 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 and in Article 39 of Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, may arise during the sandbox experimentation as well as response mechanism to promptly mitigate those risks and, where necessary, stop the processing;
- any personal data to be processed in the context of the sandbox are in a functionally separate, isolated and protected data processing environment under the control of the participants and only authorised persons have access to that data;
- any personal data processed are not to be transmitted, transferred or otherwise accessed by other parties that are not participants in the sandbox, unless such disclosure occurs in compliance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 or, where applicable, Regulation 2018/725, and all participants have agreed to it;
- any processing of personal data in the context of the sandbox shall not affect the application of the rights of the data subjects as provided for under Union law on the protection of personal data, in particular in Article 22 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 and Article 24 of Regulation (EU) 2018/1725;
- any personal data processed in the context of the sandbox are protected by means of appropriate technical and organisational measures and deleted once the participation in the sandbox has terminated or the personal data has reached the end of its retention period;
- the logs of the processing of personal data in the context of the sandbox are kept for the duration of the participation in the sandbox, unless provided otherwise by Union or national law;
- complete and detailed description of the process and rationale behind the training, testing and validation of the AI system is kept together with the testing results as part of the technical documentation in Annex IV;
- a short summary of the AI project developed in the sandbox, its objectives and expected results published on the website of the competent authorities. This obligation shall not cover sensitive operational data in relation to the activities of law enforcement, border control, immigration or asylum authorities.
1a. For the purpose of prevention, investigation, detection or prosecution of criminal offences or the execution of criminal penalties, including the safeguarding against and the prevention of threats to public security, under the control and responsibility of law enforcement authorities, the processing of personal data in AI regulatory sandboxes shall be based on a specific Member State or Union law and subject to the same cumulative conditions as referred to in paragraph 1.
2. Paragraph 1 is without prejudice to Union or Member States laws laying down the basis for the processing of personal data which is necessary for the purpose of developing, testing and training of innovative AI systems or any other legal basis, in compliance with Union law on the protection of personal data.